The Northern Short Story Festival (NSSF) is the North’s only festival dedicated to celebrating and championing the short story. We are Saboteur Award winners. Remembering Oluwale won Best Anthology in the Saboteur Awards 2017.
We are part of the Leeds Big Bookend.
“NoShoSto” started in 2016, and was the brainchild of Festival Director SJ Bradley. We aim to bring the best in short story writing to Leeds, to celebrate the many brilliant writers already in the region, and support the excellent independent presses which do great work nationwide. The Festival has an ethos of accessibility, diversity, affordability, and quality.
The Festival is funded by arts@leeds (2018-22) at Leeds City Council.
- Regular pop-up events, networking, and workshops
- The Academy scheme
- The NoShoSto Book Club
- #UrbiWrite Writing Retreats
- An annual festival. The Northern Short Story Festival 2019 will take place on 31 May – 2 June at the Carriageworks Theatre, Leeds.
We also enjoy great working partnerships with:
- The Carriageworks Theatre
- The Leeds Library
- Leeds Libraries
- David Oluwale Memorial Association
- The Walter Swan Trust
We have close working relationships with other literary organisations and magazines that are found in the city and region:
- Fictions of Every Kind
- Strix magazine
- Peepal Tree Press